Wednesday, July 4, 2007

No way baby!


So since last year I've been checking out lensbabies...for all who don't know lensbabies a specialty lenses that work with your DSLR and give you kewl blur and depth of field effects (selective focus to be technical) when you use it.


The only problem is that its not kewl at all...

So I finally bought myself a lensbaby 2.0 with the intention of creating many a dreamy effect at the weddings I would do, but the problem is, it just never happened. Wedding one, it sat in my bag every now and again as I was reaching for my 50mm 1.8 my hand would past near, it never quite made it out of my bag though. Wedding two, same khaki pants (Same thing happpened) and by the time it was wedding three, it hit me..."I ain never gonna use this thing".

Why you ask?

Well for starters, Im a wedding photojournalist i.e. my day consists of fast paced action and capturing moments as they happen and a lens like this just doesn't fit into my arsenal. In a real sense its really only very effective when used in situations where you have time to figure it out.

But if I had to list my grouses they would sound something like this
  1. It doesn't communicate with camera so you have to engage in a trial and error for exposure.
  2. You need your two hands to use it so no running with you bag shots or propping up yourself at kewl angles (The lensbaby 3.0 has a mechanism to preset so you can use one hand but you still need to be concerned about point .3 )
  3. Getting the focus right is horrid at first and takes work after for you figure it out on the fly.
  4. The apertures are little cardboard like thingys that you have to physically remove with a funny looking instrument and place back in physically.
  5. It looks funny on your huge DSLR (frivolous reason)
  6. Arrrrgh!
So all in all its not for me and set me back $109 US too (amazon marketplace rocks!). I've had it for three months now and its more of an ornament than anything else.

So if you are going to take pics of flowers and lots of bridal portraits you can get one but for any type of photojournalist...no way baby.

No comments: