Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Hindu rites - colour and tradition

I was so elated to have the opportunity to document my first fully traditional Hindu wedding.


Ever since I began to research Hindu weddings the thing that compelled me the most was the visual vibrance, the colours of the ceremony, the decor and even the guests. So many different Saris and Kurtas (hope I spelt that right).

One of the major things that a photographer should take note of if he/she is to do a traditional Hindu wedding is that there are many multiples i.e.
  • Multiple days of coverage - up to 4
  • Multiple locations two or more
  • Multiple wardrobes up to 4 wardrobe changes for the bride and groom
So you've got to be prepared.

So I had to follow my friend to Rio Claro, I had never been there before and it was roughly a 2 hour drive away from where I lived, needless to say with my friend in the lead, me having to keep up with him or risk getting lost and his penchant for being a rally driver we cut the time down significantly.

Another thing to note about a Hindu wedding is that there is alot of activity happening away from the actual wedding. Most times there is a whole different set of action happening right outside of where the ceremony is taking place. I discovered (the hard way) that the father of the groom has to directly follow the vehicle that the groom is in on the way to the ceremony location which in a traditional Hindu wedding is usually at the girls house.

All in all the experience was very good and I didn't get tooooooo lost on the way back home.
Looking forward to the other one I have been booked for next month.

you can check out more pics of this wedding @ flowfoto.com

No comments: