Friday, July 6, 2007

Merit and Amateur status - Bptt Photo Competition

So I entered the BPTT photography competition after being instructed by a ka-zillion people to do so. I entered as an Amateur because the criteria for professional just excluded me...so what if I do professional work..HA! joke's on them! (Thanks BPTT for your kind consideration and AMPLE for your excellent work ;-)

My entry was not the best of my photos I think, but it did capture the theme of the competition within the guidelines they gave. SO after Driving around with a print out of this picture in my car for two weeks I finally submitted it three days before the deadline.

I didn’t win.

BUT I did get a call saying that I won a special merit prize for my photograph. Kewl.

However, I'm still waiting on my invitation to the prize giving ceremony so its not really official...kinda.

So the photo I submitted is below. I had to submit it with a rationale for why I chose this particular photo, which I think help both me and the judges tremendously.


This is what I had to do:

Travel the country, tour your communities and take photos that capture the “energy for life” of T&T’s people, traditions, landscape and industry.

So you can look at the picture and venture a suggestion or comments to why I might have chosen this one.

Thanks again to all of the ka-zillion people who told me to enter.

Photo Info:
Taken in Tobago at Mt Pleasant Sports Day. Girls race 13 - 16 I think the girl with the grimace was actually winning until the end there.

Camera: NIKON D200
Focal Length: 150 mm
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure: 1/800
ISO: 200

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Papayo Jumes, yuh getting on! Ah glad for yuh :)

Jamila Bannister said...

This photo is... and thats it. Even though it may not have won first prize, it is of first class quality because it is the theme of the competition personified.I applaud you Juma.....ROCK ON!!!

Anonymous said...

"I entered as an Amateur because the criteria for professional just excluded me...so what if I do professional work..HA! joke's on them!"

No, the joke is on us, the novices who actually entered in the amateur
category hoping for at least a merit prize. Yup, my photo was the family falling off the raft on the Grande Riviere river. I guess my caption for the photo didn't properly explain that I took it standing unstably in more than 1m of water on the river bed.

Congratulations on your win.

Unknown said...

You know Dianne...I didn't think of it that way...and they said that the amateur category had the LARGEST amount of entries. There were 5 hundred and somebody entries 3 hundred and somebody of which were in the Amateur category.

Then again...there are different levels of Amateur, sorry you didn't come in :-(.